Re: procmail+gnus, how?

1996-01-13 14:05:39
On Sat, 13 Jan 1996 18:35:49 +0100 (MET), Nader Tajvidi
<nader(_at_)math(_dot_)chalmers(_dot_)se> said:

Nader> Hi,

Nader> I started to use procmail a couple of monthes ago and I think
Nader> it is great. I use Gnus 5 to read the news and apparently it is
Nader> possible to use procmail for scoring/killing of the articles in
Nader> different newsgroups. I have not been able to find more
Nader> information about this so I wonder if anyone in this list does
Nader> this under a similar setup.  In that case I appreciate if you
Nader> want to share the relevant portions of your .procmailrc
Nader> file. Thanks in advance.

        Hmm.  If ding gnus can do that, I don't know about it.  What
I know ding can do is read mail folders as news, and use spool files
delivered by a procmail filtering agent.

portions of my .procmailrc:

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail/spool      #you'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=$HOME/mbox

:0:
* ^From.*lyx-owner
lyx.spool

:0:
* ^From.*debian
debian.spool

:0:
* ^From.*linux-ppp
ppp.spool

:0:
* ^From.*chemistry
chem.spool

:0:
* ^To.*ding
ding.spool

These are mailing lists I subscribe to. Gnus reads the files
(ding.spool, etc) and throws them into a newsgroup called ding or
whatever.  Groups are inserted interactively in gnus, with  "G m".

Here is the relevant sections of my .emacs that are needed..

(setq gnus-open-server-hook 'nos-gnus-open)

(defun nos-gnus-open ()

(setq
   nnmail-procmail-directory (concat (getenv "HOME") "/Mail/spool")
   nnmail-procmail-suffix ".spool"
   nnmail-split-methods nil
   nnmail-spool-file 'procmail

)

nathan

--
Nathan O. Siemers, Ph.D.
Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute