Re: Sendmail 8.7.1

1996-01-23 20:39:43
On Wed, Jan 24, leif(_dot_)erlingsson(_at_)mailbox(_dot_)swipnet(_dot_)se
writes:

Maybe Your procmail is not suid root? Maybe The Sendmail 8.7.1 is
configured NOT to run procmail as root - then procmail itself has to
be suid root. This is the recommended configuration, and
the way I was running my 8.7.1. (I'm now on 8.7.3.)

There are a few wacky things that sendmail 8.7 seems to have changed (I
won't say "broken" out loud, but...)

One notable thing is that the "-oL#" option is no longer "safe".  Ie, if a
non-root user uses it to increase the logging level, then sendmail strips
itself of its root privileges.  For 8.6.*, the Bat Book says oL _IS_ safe,
and I'm inclined to believe that the authors of sendmail _MEANT_ for it to
be, but screwed up, er, got confused and put "FALSE" where they wanted to
put "TRUE".  (I've submitted a patch, rebuilt sendmail, and it seems to
work a-okay.  We'll see what the almighties have to say with 8.7.4, I
guess...)

                                                Dabe
--
Bummed is what you are        dabe(_at_)cs(_dot_)umd(_dot_)edu         I may
agree with what