Re: /var/mail/initial/logname if you aren't root

1996-02-10 18:56:55
csdayton(_at_)midway(_dot_)uchicago(_dot_)edu
<csdayton(_at_)midway(_dot_)uchicago(_dot_)edu> wrote:
David said:
One system I use is moving its mailboxes from /var/mail/logname to
/var/mail/initial/logname: mine will be /var/mail/d/dattier instead of
/var/mail/dattier.

Is there a way I can recompile my non-root copy of procmail so that other
users can invoke it in their .forwards without having to add such a recipe
to their .procmailrcs?

 You could move the path of the /etc/procmailrcs to your own
directory.  But I am not sure if procmail has clever checks to
guarantee things about the owners of those files.  But that stinks of a

It has, and it might cause problems.

hack and it might not work.

However, that did go in the right direction...
Change the location of the /etc/procmailrc file.  Put it somewhere below your
home directory.
Everything in it will be executed on behalf of the recipients though,
so they'll have to trust you.  But since they are invoking your
binary, they'd have to trust you anyway.

 That said and done...  Note that in config.h you have the macro
SYSTEM_MBOX.  You could replace this with something like

#define SYSTEM_MBOX somefunction(getenv("USER"))

This, most likely, will not work.  Procmail expects this to be
a string constant in several places (I think).
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

"Be spontaneous!"