/var/mail/initial/logname if you aren't root

1996-02-10 15:15:10
One system I use is moving its mailboxes from /var/mail/logname to
/var/mail/initial/logname: mine will be /var/mail/d/dattier instead of
/var/mail/dattier.

Procmail there is not always present in a sysadmin-installed version; it is
not the local mail delivery agent; and I do not have root privileges.

I can very easily handle the situation myself like this in my .procmailrc:

 :0
 * LOGNAME ?? ^^\/.
 { ORGMAIL=/var/mail/$MATCH/$LOGNAME
   DEFAULT=$ORGMAIL }

Since the compiled-in value of $ORGMAIL will still be /var/mail/$LOGNAME,
procmail will still make a seek into /var/mail/ when it starts up, I know;
but it's no big problem because directory /var/mail/ will still exist.

Is there a way I can recompile my non-root copy of procmail so that other
users can invoke it in their .forwards without having to add such a recipe
to their .procmailrcs?

Someone had a similar situation before that I helped him with: but he
was root and procmail was the MDA, so he was able to take care of it in
/etc/procmailrc.  That route is not available to me.