Re: Testing a Regexp

1996-03-05 18:48:30
Jim Osborn <jimo(_at_)eskimo(_dot_)com> wrote:
I'd like to verify, if I can, that the regexp my autoresponder
receives is valid, before I hand it off to an rc file to do its work.
Is there a way to do this?  I tried checking the exit status of
procmail when handed good and bad regexps, but it seems to always be 0.

The only thing that gives away a bad regexp is the complaint procmail
logs to the logfile.

Check the size of the logfile after sending it through, it should be
still zero on a good regexp.
Do not forget to enclose your regexp in an extra pair of parens
(in order to shield it from any unwanted magic checks for e.g. ??).
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

You should use contraceptives at every conceivable occasion.