Re: QU: Filtering by fake Domains names?

1996-03-07 05:50:52
 Ronald asked:

On Tue, 05 Mar 1996 18:57:46 PST , Soren Dayton writes:

Could you elaborate more?  I have read large chunks of the sendmail book but I
haven't seen any database mechanisms for routing virtual domains to common
aliases.  Does sendmail support multiple alias files or LHS domain matching?

  Yes and no.  Or rather yes and not with the alias mechanism,m but with
various database mechanisms.  There have been a lot of recent discussions
on virtual domains.  Check out dejanews and search for virtual domains on
comp.mail.sendmail.  Someone recently prepared a fairly nice faq on the
topic.

If the information is not in the header then I don't see how it could work.
How
does sendmail figure it out?

the information about who receives a letter is in the envelope.  This is
what is communicated in an SMTP transaction with RCPT to: and Mail from:
and it is _this_ information that is used for delivering mail.  How
would your scheme figure out who gets a message from a maili glist?

                              Does my version work because I have only been
testing with intellegent mailers?

  Nope, because you have been testing easy cases.   try a mailing list
or something like that,

Soren