Re: Another question about recipes

1996-04-15 11:30:16
Pekka Koski wrote:

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, John Black wrote:

Would the "forward" portion of <.procmailrc> look like this:
     :0
     *^TO.*sales
     ! userone(_at_)ispone(_dot_)com
     ! usertwo(_at_)isptwo(_dot_)com

      No :), more like this:

      :0
      * ^TO.*sales

!userone(_at_)ispone(_dot_)com,usertwo(_at_)isptwo(_dot_)com,userN(_at_)ispN(_dot_)com

If so, then I could use this to run a small mailing list?

But won't your suggestion result in a "To:" header with all of
the recipients in it?  IMHO, mailing lists shouldn't gratuitously
reveal the names of their subscribers.

John Black's attempt (which you say won't work) wouldn't do that.

      Yes. I run a mailinglist with abt. 40 recipients and the
      whole is done with formail and procmail.
      (I'll send my "mailinglist recipe" to you via email)

      With procmail you can run a mailinglist without aliases or root
      privilegies...even without asking a permission from the sysadmins :-)

I do something similar with a game.  To mail to all, though,
I run a pipe into a shell script which in effect contains:
        for i in `cat list`; do
            .... # your favorite command to send mail to $i
        done

which may not be best, but doesn't expose the "subscriber" list
to public view.

If there's a cleaner way to do this in procmail, it would be nice
to know about it.

Cheers,
Stan Ryckman (stanr(_at_)tiac(_dot_)net)