Re: selective 'biff'

1996-04-25 13:44:49
On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Derrick Green wrote:

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

I'd like to be notified of new mail if and only if it matches a certain
criteria.  I tried to use the 'write' command (to echo the FROM and
SUBJECT) but it never seems to be able to figure out my tty...

Why not just use procmail to filter that important mail into a certain
"important" folder, say important.fdr  and then use

xbiff -file important.fdr

to monitor only that folder.

Hmm.. I don't know what 'xbiff' is.... but still, this gives me a good
idea.

Why not just have the procmail script send the FROM and SUBJECT (of
important matched messages) to a particular file (say
~/.procmail.log.urgent) and then use tail on that file?

Makes perfect sense, but I didn't think of it until now...

Thanks for the clue

TjL

--
Timothy J. Luoma        <luomat(_at_)capitalist(_dot_)princeton(_dot_)edu>
USENET: Please CC this address on replies to my posts, things vanish fast.