Re: selective 'biff'

1996-04-25 15:07:45

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Dallman Ross wrote:

[Timothy J. Luoma <luomat(_at_)capitalist(_dot_)princeton(_dot_)edu> wrote:]
I'd like to be notified of new mail if and only if it matches a
certain criteria.  I tried to use the 'write' command (to echo the
FROM and SUBJECT) but it never seems to be able to figure out my
tty...

I have been running 'tail -f ~/.procmail.log' in the background,
but I don't want to see all my listserv mail, just some certain
ones.

Are you discounting the obvious?  Why not just run biff on certain
files you're saving and not others?  For example, listserve stuff
goes to file X, personal stuff goes to file Y, and your run "biff
path/Y".

The biff I have here does not allow me to specify a file, just whether
or not I want generic biff on or off.

Okay, my mistake; I was thinking of "newmail", which does allow that.
Do you have newmail on your system?  There are lots of programs like
it out there, too, btw, and I'm sure you could compile a small
one that suits your needs.

Also, if you take the listserve stuff out of your regular inbox using
procmail, then even lowly biff should work, yes?