autoconf questions

1996-05-26 21:14:44
First, if there is a FAQ for procmail, please let me know where it is and
I will gladly read it.

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out why autoconf
gives me a different answer each time I run it. Our environment:

        Solaris 2.3 client, NFS filesystem (from an Auspex), Sun's cc:
SC3.0 15 Dec 1993.

I have gotten answers from autoconf (from procmail-3.11pre4 and 3-10)
saying that either dotlocking alone, dotlocking + fcntl() or dotlocking +
fcntl() + lockf() are useful locking strategies. I have been unable to
coorelate any external activities (or any event at all) to which answer
will be given at any particular run of autoconf.

As lockf() is used fairly often by other programs in our environment
without any problem being noticed so far, I am leaning towards autoconf
being broken in some fashion (it does seem to stress the locks beyond
*anything* I could imagine necessary). However, I thought the best thing
would be to ask the list (that I just found out about) and see what other
experiences with autoconf are. What do these inconsistent results mean?

Any help and/or insight would be appreciated. While I would very much
like to use lockf() (NFS is entrenched), I also do not wish a false sense
of security.

cheers

kinch  <finger kinch(_at_)julian(_dot_)uwo(_dot_)ca> for PGP key(s)
email:kinch(_at_)julian(_dot_)uwo(_dot_)ca
web:http://www.heartlab.rri.uwo.ca/kinch/
Unix PGP Key fingerprint =  6F 36 6F 9D 79 16 DF 40  2B EC 18 5B 5C 6D 03 6F
Home PGP Key fingerprint =  28 20 0E DF 27 17 80 C5  5D 04 8E 1B D0 9A A6 4C