Re: Extended Headers with Procmail

1996-06-14 09:38:58
"D. Emilio Grimaldo T." <grimaldo(_at_)ehv(_dot_)sc(_dot_)philips(_dot_)com>
writes:
Hi *,
   Well me like most (if not all) of you use power things like Unix :)
   and there we run procmail to filter etc. Many of us have recipes
   that make use of Extended Headers such as X-To, X-MailList etc etc.
[description of how now all mail clients can easily manipulate arbitrary
headers]

Beyond the solution of changing mail clients, have you considered that
there may be other ways to do what you want than using X-Foo headers?
If this is an official work related mailing list setup then you should
be able to get at least token management support to bludgeon/request
your sysadmin into providing *some* support, if just a global alias or
two pointing to an installation of Smartlist in your own account.
Other solutions include putting the info in the Subject: in some
predefined format:

        Subject: ML: bobs-list# the real subject here
or
        Subject: the real subject ML: bobs-list

The latter even correctly propagates the mailing list selection to replies,
something which X-foo headers do not do.

Philip Guenther