Re: I have to say "sorry" !!!!!

1996-06-15 14:48:31
Marco Jakobs <maj(_at_)leverkusen(_dot_)netsurf(_dot_)de> writes:
None of the mail gets to me - so the following line

:0
* ^To: mj
! MAJ(_at_)leverkusen(_dot_)netsurf(_dot_)de

DID not forward the mail from the mailing list to me. Then the catch-all at th
e end of my procmailrc sends it
back with the comment that this address is unknown.

I\xB4ve added the line "* !^FROM_DAEMON" to my "unknown-address"-autoresponder
prevent it from responding to
mailing-list-mail.

But i DO NOT understand why the lines above do not catch the mail from the mai
ling-list. (Perhaps there is no
"mj(_at_)cycos(_dot_)com" in the "TO:"-header...???

BING!

Does anyone know the solution of the problem?

You cannot assume that the list of recipient addresses in the headers
matches where the mail is actually going to.  If I Bcc: a message to
you, your address will not show up in the headers.  It's similar with
mailing lists.  With normal accounts this is fine: you know the mail is
for you because you're receiving it!  However with emergence of virtual
domains, you now have mail for many different addresses going to one
account.  The virtual domain software (probably just sendmail) should
be configured to save the original envelope recipient address somewhere
in the header (say, an Envelope-To: header) so that programs like
procmail can figure out who the mail was really destined for.  I still
haven't found a note explaining how to do this, so I can't help you
beyond this.

Philip Guenther