Strange file growth problem

1996-07-12 16:19:46
Once a week I order the weekly archive from a mailing list I
administer to back up locally.  Normally this file comes to about 500
Kb.  After setting up procmail at my ISP, I've successfully ordered
this file twice.  The third time I did this, however, I encountered a
strange (for me) problem.  For some reason, the file whose length I
later confirmed to be 415 Kb or so grew to enormous proportions and
took me over the top of my disk quota.  The log that follows provides
some information.  As you can see, the first time procmail reports the
file to be 33378441, the second time 10718165, and the third time
4167675.  all far larger than the file as it's originally sent.  Twice
procmail had to force a lock but apparently not the third time.  I'm
relatively new to procmail, and I'm unable to determine what might be
causing this problem or how to prevent it.  Any assistance will be
appreciated.  As far as I can tell, this file should fall through all
my recipes unaffected, which is the case for other e-mail I receive
from the list server.

[First try]

  Folder: /usr/spool/mail/dkanagy                                           920
procmail: Forcing lock on "/usr/spool/mail/dkanagy.lock"
procmail: Forcing lock on "/usr/spool/mail/dkanagy.lock"
procmail: Forcing lock on "/usr/spool/mail/dkanagy.lock"
procmail: Forcing lock on "/usr/spool/mail/dkanagy.lock"
procmail: Forcing lock on "/usr/spool/mail/dkanagy.lock"
procmail: Forcing lock on "/usr/spool/mail/dkanagy.lock"
procmail: Terminating prematurely