`c' no longer extraneous?

1996-08-03 16:38:44
Hmmm.  It seems that the "Extraneous `c' flag ignored" error message has
vanished in 3.11pre4 (or maybe sooner) when you add a `c' to a filter recipe
or to a variable capture recipe.

If you put a `c' on a filtering recipe, there is no error, and the filter
still changes the original copy.  The only change in behavior is that if
you have a logfile set and LOGABSTRACT=all, you get a logabstract for the
filtering action.  The entry in the logabstract for Folder:, however, is
blank; it doesn't contain the action line, as it would for a pipe recipe.

Similarly, if you put a `c' on a variable capture recipe there is no error.
If you have a logfile set and LOGABSTRACT=all, you get a logabstract for the
variable capture recipe, and the Folder: line of the logabstract contains
the value assigned to the variable (again, not the command but the output).
In one case where I wanted the command logged, I had to code like this:

  :0 # no `c' since this in the long run wasn't the recipe I wanted logged
  * conditions
  VARIABLE=| command
   :0acbi # `b', not `h', because usually this runs on mail with short bodies
   LASTFOLDER=|echo ' 'same_command

For either filtering recipe or variable capture recipes, without `c', there
is no logabstract, but everything else works the same.