Re: formail [-D maxlen idcache] question

1996-08-13 10:21:04
Paul LaBrier asked,

| I am using a combination of formail and procmail to reprocess or mail
| from our isp and distribute it on our lan.  Its working fine with the
| exception that every message that is sent to multiple recipients in
| our office is resulting in duplicate messages delivered.
|
| It looks like -D might control this, but I do not know what maxlen or
| idcache would work best.  Any suggestions?

"idcache" represents the name of the file where Message-Id:'s (or return
addresses for formail -rD) are kept.  Name it anything you like, but if you
keep it in your $MAILDIR, I recommend a name beginning with a dot so that it
won't show up when you ls your folders.

The right maxlen is different matter.  It depends on two factors: how long
your Message-Id:'s are, and how many other (different) messages might be
compared to the same idcache between the first arrival of a new message and
the last straggler among its duplicates.  I'd say start at, oh, 8192 bytes
and, if it turns out to be too small and lets duplicates through, make it
larger.