Using Formail -d and procmail together

1996-08-15 07:11:49
I have been trying to get formail and procmail to work together to
sort e-mail for a couple days now.  If I use formail WITHOUT the -d
option, procmail handles my mail fine with the exception that we get
alot of duplicate messages.

As soon as I specify "-d 8192 .msgcache"  procmail refuces to sort
messages. the logged output complains that the expressions in the
procmailrc file are not found.

I redirected a popclient session to a file test formail and procmail
following are my results.

There were 7 messages in the file.  1 was addressed to 4 users on my
lan, one was addressed to 2 users and 1 was addressed to only one
user.

formail and procmail WITHOUT the -d option resulted in each of the 4
users getting 4 copies of the first message, two users getting two
copies of the second and the one message was delivered properly.

When I included -d in formail , nothing was delivered.  I rediected
the output to a file to compare to the mail file with the seven
messages in it.  There were only 3 messages, the dupes were gone.
Each message header matched the original in the first mail file
perfectly.  egrep found all the expressions that were in the
procmailrc file when procmails log said they were not found. WEIRD!

I then tried running formail and procmail (without -d) on this file
with only 3 messages in it.  What do you know it worked, the three
messages were deliverered to their proper owners with NO dupes.

My work around has been to write a script that runs popclient and
formail (including -d) with the output going to a file. Then I send
that file through formail (no -d)  and procmail.  Its to early to
tell, but its worked for the last hour or so.

Should I have to do this or should formail -d and procmail work
together?  From what I read in the MAN pages they seem to me like they
should work together.

Paul LaBrier