Re: procmail error

1996-09-11 00:50:47
Bill Jenuwine writes on 10 September 1996 at 18:17:28
I have a private copy of procmail v3.10 in my bin directory (not
installed by the sys admin).  An associate maintains a softlink in his
bin directory to procmail and formail.
[...]
This hangs the mail server and requires a reboot by the sys admin who
now wants to kill me slowly.  I have shut off this recipe as I don't
trust it anymore, although it works flawlessy 99% of the time.

for who's mail?  If it's the person accessing formail through the
symbolic link, you might look there for problems.  NFS and mail can
cause numerous problems, especially on older systems like Ultrix.

 VAXFROM="`/u/wjenuwin/bin/formail -xFrom: | awk '{print $1}' `"

"formail -zx From:", no awk needed.

 VAXCC="`/u/wjenuwin/bin/formail -xX-Vms-Cc: | /bin/nawk '{
[...]

 VAXTO="`/u/wjenuwin/bin/formail -xX-Vms-To: | /bin/nawk '{
[...]

Can you show us the format of these X-Vms headers? (I didn't feel like
figuring out the AWK code).  You may be able to use
"formail -R X-Vms-Cc CC".

 :0 afW
 | /u/wjenuwin/bin/formail -i "From: $VAXFROM"

 :0 afW
 | /u/wjenuwin/bin/formail -i "cc: $VAXCC"

these can be combined into a single invokation of formail with
multiple -i flags

   Dan
------------------- message is author's opinion only ------------------
J. Daniel Smith <DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com>        http://www.bristol.com/~dan
Bristol Technology B.V.                   +31 33 450 50 50, ...51 (FAX)
Amersfoort, the Netherlands               {info,jobs}(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com