Re: procmail error

1996-09-11 08:11:38
On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, J. Daniel Smith wrote:

Bill Jenuwine writes on 10 September 1996 at 18:17:28
I have a private copy of procmail v3.10 in my bin directory (not
installed by the sys admin).  An associate maintains a softlink in his
bin directory to procmail and formail.

I was wrong here.  My associate directly calls my copy of procmail in
his .forward file and my copy of formail in his recipe file.  There is
no softlink.  Sorry for misleading.

[...]
This hangs the mail server and requires a reboot by the sys admin who
now wants to kill me slowly.  I have shut off this recipe as I don't
trust it anymore, although it works flawlessy 99% of the time.

for who's mail?  If it's the person accessing formail through the
symbolic link, you might look there for problems.  NFS and mail can
cause numerous problems, especially on older systems like Ultrix.

It occurs for BOTH of us when we simultaneously receive a mail sent to
both of us (via a distribution list).  The the softlink info was
wrong, any ideas on why procmail would hang the system.

 VAXFROM="`/u/wjenuwin/bin/formail -xFrom: | awk '{print $1}' `"

"formail -zx From:", no awk needed.

 VAXCC="`/u/wjenuwin/bin/formail -xX-Vms-Cc: | /bin/nawk '{
[...]

 VAXTO="`/u/wjenuwin/bin/formail -xX-Vms-To: | /bin/nawk '{
[...]

Can you show us the format of these X-Vms headers? (I didn't feel like
figuring out the AWK code).  You may be able to use
"formail -R X-Vms-Cc CC".

The X-Vms-To header just contains the string of a user's name on the
vax.  It may looklike

USERNAME
VAXNAME::USERNAME

The odd thing is that another associate of mine runs his own copies of
procmail and formail (copied from my directory) and he didn't have a
problem when the last occurence happended.

What we are thinking is that maybe the mail server box is somehow
running out of resources when serveral people run procmail and
procmail spawns nawk scripts.  Does this sound possible?  But even if
it is the case, how can a formail that is hung then hang the entire
system.  I thought that procmail and formail are run under my userid
on the mail server with no special privilege.

Bill Jenuwine            | Internet: wjenuwin(_at_)ford(_dot_)com
Ford Motor Company       |