Re: Removeing unwanted = charcters

1996-09-21 01:02:45
On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Tore Ferner wrote:

Hi all,

I use procmail to put e-mail folders on www (using hypermail in a
pipe).

Is there a way to remove the = characters that are used to wrap long
lines in the e-mail bodies without removing the ='s used for
quoted-printable-encoded characters and those ='s the writer of the
e-mail intentionally has put in the letter? Could I do this in a
filter before the mail is put in a folder? - and if so: how?

I have tried to use mimencode, but that doesn't seem to work. Mimecode
treats all ='s that are not used for quoted-printables as ordinary
characters. Formail doesn't seem to have this function either...(?)

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Sounds like a job for sed.

sed -e 's/=$//' should remove all = signs at the end of a line without
removing any other equal signs.

I also use procmail to create web pages from e-mail.  I put the message
into a file, and then have a script using sed and awk to ensure that
the web page is in the format I desire.

--
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in
praise of intelligence.