Re: keeping and updating database of names

1996-10-30 19:57:24
Alan K. Stebbens wrote:

I don't think procmail currently allows comments interspered in the
condition lines.  Perhaps that is what is failing?

[snip]

    > :0c
    > * ! ^FROM_DAEMON
--> > # if they are not in the file already, ignoring caps
    > * ! ? grep -iw "$SENDER" "$NAMES"

I believe you are correct here... I tried something similar,
commenting out a condition I didn't want in effect while testing
(excluding mail from myself!), and setting VERBOSE=yes revealed
the problem (procmail was trying to open "" as a folder).

Even a blank line will cause the problem (I'm guessing).

The documentation doesn't mention this as a problem -- only
attempting to put comments on the end of a regexp.

My opinion is that this is "broken" parsing-wise, since
Mr. Luoma and I can't be the only two to have hit this non-obvious
problem.  The parser should continue looking for conditions
until it finds a non-null "action" (IMHO), bypassing comments
and blank lines.

Besides, interspersed comments can be *useful* whereas an output
folder of "" never can be.

Cheers,
Stan.