Re: Wrong folder....

1996-11-03 16:37:25
David Bromage <dbromage(_at_)metz(_dot_)une(_dot_)edu(_dot_)au> writes:
On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Philip Guenther wrote:

MAILDIR = $HOME/Mail
DEFAULT = $MAILDIR/INBOX

Wouldn't that just create a folder called INBOX with all the other folders,
rather than storing mail in /var/spool/mail? The bulk of my mail passes
through the filters and I'd rather store is under /var than in /user, due to
the different quotas involved.

Hmm, you apparently use pine to read your mail, no?  That's the only
mail reader I know which purposely makes the incoming mailspool, say,
/var/spool/mail/dbromage, look like a mail folder just like all the
others, to the extent that it names it INBOX.  I haven't dealt with
pine in a couple years, so this is from memory.

Assuming the above, that is, you want mail not otherwise processed to
go to pine's so-called "INBOX", which is really /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME,
then you don't need to do *anything*, for, to quote my previous letter
with typo corrections:

    As described in the procmailrc(5) manpage, when this [falling off
    the end of the .procmail] occurs procmail delivers the message to
    $DEFAULT.  DEFAULT is set at procmail startup to something like
    /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME or /var/mail/$LOGNAME on most systems,
    though this default can be changed at compilation time, [...]

Assuming procmail was configured correctly when it was compiled, and
that your sysadmins haven't moved the mailspools into everyone's home
directories, then procmail should already be doing the Right Thing by
delivering to the file that pine ends up calling "INBOX".

Now, it can be assumed that you wouldn't have asked the question if the
correct thing was already happening, therefore, you should probably
tell procmail to do verbose logging and look at the resulting log to
see what procmail is doing.  Have you do that?  If so, can you include
the log entries in question in your message to the list?

Philip Guenther