Re: no biff with procmail

1996-11-19 10:43:33
spring(_at_)umw(_dot_)cube(_dot_)net (Markus Spring) writes:
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> wrote:

Read up on the COMSAT variable, as described on the procmailrc(5) manpage,
i.e., try the command
     man procmailrc
then look for COMSAT.

In my understanding of the manpages it is said that COMSAT defaults to
biff(_at_)localhost if procmail is used from a .forward-file and not a
commandline-specified rc-file.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it can be configured at compilation
time to default to off, in which you would have to set it explicitly.
This isn't the default default, but sites where mail is delivered on a
machine that users can't login to may have done so.  That brings up the
other point: are you sure procmail is being run on the machine that you
are logged into?  If it isn't, them it's sending the comsat notice to
the comsat daemon on the wrong machine, in which case you would need to
set the COMSAT variable in procmail explicitly to contact the correct
machine.  However if you don't login to the same machine all the time,
this is a pain, as you'd have to change your .procmailrc every time you
login.  In that case you should consider whether you can either use
something like xbiff (if you're on an X capable machine) or have your
shell do the checking.

Philip Guenther