Please explain lockfiles.

1996-11-21 15:25:15
I am using procmail to intercept mail to a particular domain and forward
it to different addresses depending on the user.  Sometimes the one
message gets forwarded to multiple receipients using a nested block.  Do I
need to use lockfiles in either of the above situations?

I am aware that procmail can start multiple sessions etc but I am not
really understanding what/why/when the lockfile is needed.  If two
messages arrive for the one outgoing address would this cause a problem if
lockfiles were not used?  (Yes you are right another escapee from the DOS
world).

Also can you clear something up for me?  When using to *TO in a receipe,
will it also be good for the following:  cc,CC,Cc,bcc,BCC,Bcc!  I am not
using D (which I think means that procmail does not care about the case),
so I believe that it does but I have no way of knowing for sure.  The
stuff I send works, but who knows about people using another mail program.

Thanks for your help,

Hugh.