Re: [Q] ^To contains .* and cc?

1996-11-22 05:57:49
On Fri, 22 Nov 1996 12:37:14 +0100, Peter Gjefle <pg(_at_)sn(_dot_)no> wrote:
From: era eriksson <reriksso(_at_)cc(_dot_)helsinki(_dot_)fi>
  * ^TO.*me
But basically I just want to point out that you shouldn't be using .*
after ^TO -- the ^TO construct already contains this
reading the advice of mr. eriksson, should i change to the following?
                         ^^^
(You're only guessing here, right? ;^)

     * ^To procmail@

No, it should be

    * ^TOprocmail@

or, if you prefer,

    * ^TO()procmail@

or ^TO(procmail)@ or ^TO(procmail@) or whatever parentheses you want
for readability and maintainability. Note that the ^TO macro needs to
be all uppercase.

what is the meaning of the trailing : after the 0
is  :0:  different from  :0  ?   could that be my mistake?

The trailing : tells Procmail to use a lockfile, which was covered on
this list very recently and is also explained in the manual. The sole
purpose of locking is to make sure you don't have two Procmails
writing to the same file at the same time; if your recipe delivers to
a file, then yes, you should use locking (but failing to do so will
primarily result in completely other kinds of problems than you
describe ... The manual should probably tell you what the symptoms are
for not using locking when in fact you ought to, IMHO).

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
See <http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/> for mantra, disclaimer, etc.
* If you enjoy getting spam, I'd appreciate it if you'd register yourself