Re: "You have new mail" message

1996-12-06 00:47:20
    > I am using procmail v3.11pre4. When a new message comes to INBOX, the
    > system says "you have new mail" , but if a new mail comes to any
    > folder specified by procmail, the system does not say "you have new mail".
    >
    > How can I configure it so that it always prompts the "you have new mail"
    > message?

Zehra,

The "you have newmail" is a function of your shell, or mail user
agent.  Procmail has nothing to do with this, except that COMSAT can be
configured to be the name of a service-port and host to notify when a
delivering recipe is invoked.  See procmailrc.

Whether or not your shell or MUA can watch multiple mail folders depends
upon which shell or MUA you are using.

For example, "csh" and "tcsh" allow multiple folders by setting them in
the "mail" variable:

    set mail = ( 300 /usr/spool/mail/$USER ~/Mail/inbox ~/Mail/admin )

But, the "sh" (Bourne shell) uses both the MAIL and MAILPATH environment
variables:

    MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME
    MAILPATH=/var/mail/$LOGNAME%"You have mail in
/var/mail":$HOME/Mail/inbox%"You have mail in +inbox":$HOME/Mail/admin%"You
have mail in +admin"

As for MUAs, there are too many to count, and each has their own way
of configuring, or not, the mail folder(s) to watch.

Good luck.
Alan Stebbens <aks(_at_)sgi(_dot_)com>      http://reality.sgi.com/aks

PS: I lived in Izmir when I was a kid (1st grade); I can only remember
how to count a little in Turkish: Bir, icki, ooch, dirt, besh, ..