Re: "You have new mail" message

1996-12-06 02:24:01
On Fri Dec 06 1996, Zehra Soysert wrote:

I am using procmail v3.11pre4. When a new message comes to INBOX, the
system says "you have new mail" , but if a new mail comes to any
folder specified by procmail, the system does not say "you have new mail".

How can I configure it so that it always prompts the "you have new mail"
message?

This is a function of the shell, so read the man pages for the
shell(s) you are using.

For (t)csh, use the `mail' variable, eg:

set mail=( 1 $MAIL ~/Mail/inbox ~/Mail/procmail )

Directories or maildrop files may be referred to - you'll still get
the prompt (although the message is slightly different for directories
compared to files).

For (ba)sh, use the MAIL, MAILCHECK, MAILPATH and MAIL_WARNING
variables (see the man page for details, as bash is more versatile and
has different syntax than classic Bourne sh).

The other alternative is to use `biff'-like programs, of which there
are quite a few to be found around the net.

Cheers
Tony