Re: is it possible?

1996-12-27 01:12:14
At 04:58 PM 12/26/96 +0000,
/G=Erdem/I=EAU/S=Ural/O=FMEO/OU1=Norwood(_at_)mhs-fmsysnet(_dot_)attmail(_dot_)c
 elucidated
thus:

Is it possible to set procmail so that additional characters in my address
designate different destinations for mail being forwarded?

Yes -- except that you obviously have to be the recipient of those
messages.  I rather doubt that the world.std forwarding actually grants you
the multiple addresses from the one base identity.  Further, I imagine that
you don't actually have access priveledges to their mail server (in order
to run Procmail, or anything else, on it) -- I believe that they just
forward the mail to that one address to any other address you specify.

So IF you do get mail addressed to various forms of the base address, and
all those messages are forwarded to one other *NIX box, you could be
running Procmail on that box, and do the forwarding from there.  Basically,
this is simple -- except that there are many issues that come up:  Blind
carbon (often your address doesn't even appear in the message headers),
regular carbon with multiple of YOUR addresses showing up, etc.  Between
the basic forwarding from world.std.com to another domain, some of the
things necessary to address these may be lost (a sysadmin on the *initial
receiving machine* (world.std.com) has the best chance of being able to
make the mailer changes necessary to insert an Envelope-To header (AFAIK,
this can only be done in Sendmail, not Procmail).

please do not use "reply" function.
Please respond to:

Please do something about your absolutely screwy from address.  If it is an
attempt at avoiding spammage, keep in mind that spammers will find your
address from the properly formed address you placed in the message body,
and for everybody else, the address that shows up on your message is one
heck of an annoyance.

"/G=Erdem/I=EAU/S=Ural/O=FMEO/OU1=Norwood(_at_)mhs-fmsysnet(_dot_)attmail(_dot_)com"