Re: locking $LOGFILE ?

1997-01-02 08:50:45
Matt Garretson asked,

| Does [an] ...  assignment to the LOG variable need a
| local lock file?  Or does procmail handle contention for writes to
| $LOGFILE as a special case?  Or is there a simpler reason why locking
| isn't necessary?

Procmail usually gets along without locking the logfile.  Writes to it are
short (in comparison to what gets written to a folder) and usually a lock
is not needed.

If you want to make sure that only one procmail process uses the logfile at
a time, I'd recommend just plain using a global lockfile (the LOCKFILE vari-
able) rather than locking and unlocking the logfile.