Re: Sort field of mailing lists (Was Re: [Procmail] Help - How do I filter BCCs/Mailing Lists? )

1997-01-02 08:57:19
At 07:21 AM 1/2/97 -0500, James V. Di Toro III wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, Doug Muth wrote:

     Well, what you need to do is get several messages form the same
mailing list, find a line they have in common, and have a recipe based on
that line.  Here is my recipe for this mailing list:
# bounce Procmail posts

:0 E:
{

      This is a question that I've had rolling arround in my head, what
do people use to filter out thier mailing lists.  The Resent-From field
field used to be my favirote, but like Doug says later in his msg it
doesn't work all the time.

      I now use ^X-Mailing-List: and ^(Resent-)?Sender: almost
exclusivley.  The only list I don't use them for is the Word of the Day,
which is really a special case anyway since it's more of an announce.  The
XML seems to come from SmartLists and the Sender from Majordomo/Listserv
any others that I'm missing.

      So what field does everybody else use?

I use From: for a digest (it's reliable) but since regular lists put
the poster into that header, I use From_ (i.e., "From ") since this
is consistent (at least for long periods, between software changes)
and there is *always* a "From " headerfield.  You may note that
different MLM software generates different types of "From "s.
I also use something more complicated to get list-owner related
messages for the list I run.  Examples from my .procmailrc (match strings
only, since what I do with the posts frequently varies) are below.

Hope that helps,
Stan Ryckman (stanr(_at_)tiac(_dot_)net)

# procmail list
* ^From .*procmail-request@

# Boston-B5 lists
* ^From .*boston-b5.*-owner

# JMS list
* ^From *b5jms-owner

# the lstsrv, lstown, list-managers lists
* ^From *(owner-lstsrv-l|owner-lstown-l|list-managers-owner)

# mutt list(s); haven't seen "mutt-announce" yet
* ^From .*(mutt-request)

# wxobs digest: