Re: Sort field of mailing lists (Was Re: [Procmail] Help - How do Ifilter BCCs/Mailing Lists? )

1997-01-02 11:30:23
Responding To:  Stan Ryckman <stanr(_at_)sunspot(_dot_)tiac(_dot_)net>
Original Date:  Thu, 02 Jan 1997 12:36:31 -0500

What happens if someone puts this (procmail) list in a Bcc: header
instead? Hmmm. Might as well try it with this post. Let's see what
happens.

It ends up in my INBOX.  However, I can count the number of times
someone has BCC'd procmail on one finger (at least in the last 2
years or so).... especially if you remove the cases where it is done
solely to prove a point.  How often is BCC done for a list?

Anyway, a "^TO"-based filter will pick off both the post and a Cc:
to you, which may not be what is desired. From_ will distinguish
the two (for example).

If it has anything to do with procmail, I want it to end up in my
procmail mailbox.  Others may not wish to do so.  My NeXT's Mail.app
shows me the number of unread messages in each mailbox, thanks to
the newest version of "appnmail" which was herein scorned not to
long ago.

BTW: I use the very common (I think)

:0Wh: .idfile.lock
| formail -D 8192 $PROCDIR/idfile

meaning that if you send a message to me and to the list, the one
that gets to me first is the only one which gets through.  Most
often 99.9999999% of the time in my experience, that is the copy
sent directly to me.  In that case, there is no way to tell on the
copy that I have here that it has anything to do with the list.
Your name "stanr" appears in the "From " and the "From:" and there
is nothing to key that it should have gone to procmail.  Just my way
of saying that there's always a chance a message might end up in
your INBOX.

If you had not sent me a personal copy, then I could have used the
'From ' line, true enough.

TjL

--
        Tj Luoma (luomat(_at_)peak(_dot_)org)