Re: Sort field of mailing lists (Was Re: [Procmail] Help - How do Ifilter BCCs/Mailing Lists? )

1997-01-03 01:04:55
On Thu Jan 02 1997, Stan Ryckman wrote:

So what field does everybody else use?

on a GOOD, well maintained list like the procmail list, I use

^TOprocmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE

What happens if someone puts this (procmail) list in a Bcc: header instead?
Hmmm.  Might as well try it with this post.  Let's see what happens.

Good one... you just broke my procmail filter!  :-)

[It put your message into my inbox/ folder.]

Yep, you are right... a Bcc header does change things, and it requires
a different strategy to detect it.

Thanks for doing this - I'm about to modify my filter to account for
it.  It seems that there are other header fields that can be checked
for messages from mailing lists.

This message "obviously" came from the procmail email list, but
because `procmail' didn't appear in the From/To/Cc fields, my filter
missed it - and I've also had to add it back into this reply.

Anyway, a "^TO"-based filter will pick off both the post and a Cc: to you,
which may not be what is desired.

I get procmail to post Cc's to me in a separate folder, very handy -
especially as I use mh and get the same message posted to multiple
folders (using hard links).

 From_ will distinguish the two (for example).

No, it didn't in this case (well, ^(From |((From|To|Cc):)) didn't
detect it).

Ahh, the subtlties of email never cease to amaze me. :)

Cheers
Tony