Re: Apparently-To: Headers

1997-01-04 13:30:27
On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Bill Moseley wrote:
How does the sender (spammer) send out a message without including a
recipient field (without using To:, Cc:, or Bcc:)?
Does this mean the spammer is lame and not sending their message correctly?

I have tried sending mail by telneting to an SMTP port (port 25). If a
RCPT is specified, but a 'To:' field is not used, then
'Apparently-To:' is how the header winds up when received. I don't
know which end adds the field, but it is the result of RCPT without a
field designated. I have no idea why your junkmail would have so many
'Apparently-To:' fields. If they all have different addresses then I
would guess the spammers are lame and not using their spamming
software properly. MLM is pretty lame anyway.

David