Re: [Procmail] Apparently-To: Headers

1997-01-04 17:31:50
Hi Bill Moseley!  I'm a UNIX administrator and I like to fight spam!
I often get (junk) mail that has dozens of "Apparently-To:" headers.  One
way I filter messages with more than ten "Apparently-To:" headers:

        Hey, wanna join SPAM-L? ;-)

Am I correct that sendmail adds Apparently-To: when it doesn't get a To:,
Cc:, Or Bcc: in a message it is delivering?

        You are correct.

How does the sender (spammer) send out a message without including a
recipient field (without using To:, Cc:, or Bcc:)?

        Manually, it could be done by telnetting to port 25 and typing in
all the names for "RCPT TO:".  Likely, they are using a crappy mailing
program that doesn't bother to send a To: header if they leave it blank.

Does this mean the spammer is lame and not sending their message correctly?

        They are lame in any case.  This just makes them even lamer. :-)

        Regards,

--
<Doug Muth>--<dmuth(_at_)ot(_dot_)com> - Spam me and die!
Think your homepage sucks?  You haven't seen http://www.ot.com/~dmuth yet!!