Re: MS-->Unix incompat pointer request

1997-01-06 08:21:25
On Sun, 5 Jan 1997, Jim Osborn wrote:

I'm trying to track down the source of nonsense characters, trailing
equal signs, equal-three-D, etc., that appear when mail is sent
from Microsoft mailers (Exchange, Message, etc.) to Unix mailers.
I don't think it's an RTF issue, but something else.

It's not a UNIX-vs-MS problem. It has to do with MIME quoted-printable
encoding. AFAIK, MIME uses =xx (where xx are to hex digits) to convert
8-bit data to 7-bit, suited for SMTP.

Furthermore, blanks at the end of lines are `protected' by adding an
equals sign at the end of the line. To distinguish between a `=' entered
by the user and one inserted by the MIME conversion, the former are
converted to `=3D' (3D is the ASCII code for `=').

I've seen pointers to MIME-decoding software on this list, but I don't
remember where you can download it.

--
Guy Geens <guy(_dot_)geens(_at_)elis(_dot_)rug(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be>
Home Page: (to be announced)

'Windows 95: The Dracula of Operating Systems--it sucks up all your
 memory, bleeds your hard drive dry, and only works an average of
 12 hours out of every 24.' - David Zeiger