Re: Reply to field

1997-01-11 19:12:29
On Wed Jan 08 1997, tbac(_at_)mail(_dot_)idt(_dot_)net wrote:

I'm trying to change the "reply to" field while keeping the "from" field
in the header of a maling list intact, so everyon can see who sent
the mail.

Huh?  That's not what those two fields are used for.  "From: " tells
you who sent the message (well, it is supposed to do that:), while the
using that specific address.  (Perhaps the "Sender: " line - if
present - would be more appropriate for your needs).

I thought it would be easy. But for some reason it didn't
work. I'v tried adding

-I"Reply: diablo(_at_)mydom(_dot_)com"\
-I"Reply_to: diablo(_at_)mydom(_dot_)com"\

but niether worked.

Wrong header name.

Weird thing to do, but...

-I"Reply-To: diablo(_at_)mydom(_dot_)com"

which will tell formail to change *every* occurence of a Reply-To:
header to point to that address, or add such a field if it is not
there.   My advice is not to do that - not unless you have a very
specific reason for doing it.

Also does anyone know where in the man page is a list of all the
fields, their respected names, and their exactly usage?

See RFC822...

http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc822.txt
        Standard for the format of ARPA Internet text messages. D. Crocker.
        Aug-13-1982.
        Format: TXT=109200 bytes
        Obsoletes RFC0733, Updated by RFC1123, RFC1138, RFC1148

There is a (large) index file to all the RFCs...

http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files

I think this page might be a mirror of

http://is.internic.net/ds/rfc-index.html

Cheers