Re: "wc" in pipe not working!

1997-01-15 16:43:35
As Tim and Irena have explained, the Doctor's $SHELL setting -- this action
line is thick with characters from $SHELLMETAS, so procmail is calling a
shell to handle it -- probably is one that doesn't understand tildes.

The good Doctor makes his "~/.procmailrc" file visible to us here on
NetCom and (I should have mentioned this earlier):

        `egrep "^SHELL=" ~doctor/.procmailrc`

        SHELL=/bin/sh

And although we are well aware of the PROCMAIL gurus love the Bourne shell
for use in PROCMAIL (and for writing scripts -- in fact one *prominent*
member here has an article on his WWW page telling why NOT to use other
shells [specifically csh types] when writing scripts :^>), the standard
Bourne shell does not grok tildes.

[snip]

I have two more suggestions:

First, that action line does not read in text from the message, so the recipe
needs an `i' flag to tell procmail to ignore write errors.

I'm a bit unclear about this.  What "bad" could happen by not putting an
'i' flag in there?  I mean what "write error" are we worried about that
we'd want PROCMAIL to ignore?

Lates!
Tim <bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
mailto:bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com
Finger bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com for my PGP public key (Bits 1024/KeyID
09DA5C49).
PGP Key FPrint (09/03/94): 4C 97 F1 FA 70 55 68 91  49 D1 AD F2 DD 63 0C 15
---------------------> Please PGP encrypt your email <---------------------