Re: Mail addressed to me

1997-01-16 11:44:15
I've been using the following recipe to filter out mail that is not
specifically addressed to me:

:0:
* !^(To|cc|bcc):(.*[^a-z])?bts8\(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com
not-to-me

This seems to work OK for mail originating outside of netcom but for some
reason, mail that originates on netcom gets matched by this recipe.  Can
someone help me improve this?  I think this may have something to do with
the fact that if I send a message to someone on netcom, I only have to
put their username.   The mail system adds the "@netcom.com" part for
me.  Thanks.

That is because mail from a local user at NetCom to another local user at
NetCom can be specified without a domain, so what we should do is allow
emails "to" you without the domain.  Here's how I'd do it:

        :0:
        * !^(To|cc|bcc):.*[^a-zA-Z0-9]?bts8(\ \(.*\)|@netcom)
        not-to-me

This should catch all local and non-local email coming "to" you.  Local
email "to" you will come with a header like this:

        To: bts8 ()

If you change your FINGER information so you have a username, this REGEXP
should still catch it.  For example:

        To: bts8 (One-cool-dude)

will still get caught.  You may want to consider using the '^TO' macro on
the above also, like this:

        :0:
        * !^TObts8(\ \(.*\)|@netcom)
        not-to-me

Lates!
Tim <bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
mailto:bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com
Finger bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com for my PGP public key (Bits 1024/KeyID
09DA5C49).
PGP Key FPrint (09/03/94): 4C 97 F1 FA 70 55 68 91  49 D1 AD F2 DD 63 0C 15
---------------------> Please PGP encrypt your email <---------------------