Why does this recipe cause an 8MB core dump?

1997-01-21 04:30:33
This INCLUDERC file is causing procmail to crash with an 8MB core
dump, and I'll be jiggered if I can figure out why.

It crashes whether or not $COMPLAIN is on, which makes even less
sense to me.

Can anyone advise?

The verbose log indicates that procmail crashes just after assigning
LASTFOLDER=mm_junk.log -- that's where the logging stops, anyway.

Here's the INCLUDERC file:
#
#  Handle potentially Junk E-Mail from mailmasher.com
#
# Match on any email to or from mailmasher.com
:0 H
* (^To:|^Return-Path:|^Received:|^Message-ID:|^Reply-To:|^From:).*[(@
 ](mailmasher\.com)
# Pegasus' stupid word wrap won't let me wrap the line above
# properly for emailing -- there is a space between the "@" and the "]"
# above, and those two lines are really ONE line.  Grumble grumble....
{
 # log all matches
 :0 c
 mm_junk.log

 # Is the complaint feature turned on?
 :0 c
 * COMPLAIN ?? on
 {
 # if so, first make a temporary copy of the whole email
 :0 c
 | cat > $MAILDIR/spam.tmp
 # then form a reply from just the header, with appropriate substitutions;
 # concatenate an autoresponse message on the end of it;  add a copy of the
 # original email, with full headers; then add a .signature and email it
 # back to sender and to a fixed list of Cc: addresses
 # [I have similar Pegasus formatting problems here ... the whole recipe
 #  below is, of course, effecively one line in the original.]
 :0 ch
  | ($FORMAIL -rk -i"Subject: HI, MailMasher user!  I'll get back to you."\
 -i"Errors-To: tbetz(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com" -i"Reply-To:
tbetz(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com" \
 -A"X-Loop: tbetz(_at_)panix(_dot_)com" -i"Cc:
tbetz(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com,numnuts(_at_)mailmasher(_dot_)com"\
 -X ""; \
      cat $HOME/.procmail/autoresponse.mm; \
      cat $MAILDIR/spam.tmp; echo "";\
      echo "-- ";\
      cat $HOME/.signature \
     ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t
 }
 # Indicate that a match was found -- the value of $FOUND is later
 # assigned to $DELIVER
 FOUND=on
}

And here's the main .procmailrc:

#
#  Basic .procmailrc
#
VERBOSE=on
LOGABSTRACT=all

ORGMAIL=$HOME/.mailspool/tbetz
DEFAULT=$ORGMAIL
FORMAIL=/usr/local/bin/formail
SENDMAIL=/usr/lib/sendmail

#Replace ``mail'' with your mail directory
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
TRASH=$MAILDIR/junk.log
COMPLAIN=off
FOUND=off

#
#  Handle Junk E-Mail
#

#

:0 H
* !^Subject: .*XENU
* !^FROM_DAEMON
[...Large exception list excised....]
* !^Apparently-To: .*
{
 # This one dumps misc.test bounces
 # INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc8
 #Customized for proofreading customers
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rccusts
 #Customized for specific spam sites
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcbm
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rchlc
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcuunet
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcmci
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcagis
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcacsi
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rceih
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rchm
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcir
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcii
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcir
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcii
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcpsi
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcibm
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcbbn
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcatt
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcnap
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcistar
 # INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcaol
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rctlg
 #INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rccp
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcsw
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcsi
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcmw
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcsl
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcew
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rces
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcixa
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcpn
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcau
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcil
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcwa
 #Generic bounce messages
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc0
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc1
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc2
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc3
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc4
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc6
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc6a
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc9
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc10
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc11
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc12
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc13
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc14
 # This one has no keyword.
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc5
 # This one dumps daemon(_at_)anon(_dot_)penet(_dot_)fi
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc7
 # The Silent Dump
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/null
 # The Silent Dump, with Logs
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/lognull
 # This one has no keyword.
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc5
 # This one dumps daemon(_at_)anon(_dot_)penet(_dot_)fi
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc7
 # The Silent Dump
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/null
 # The Silent Dump, with Logs
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/lognull
 # for testing
 INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rcmash
}
# The Daemon Grabber
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/daemon
# Apparently-To: Trap
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/appear
# The Spider Web
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/spamtrap
# Just in case... Panix's systemwide filters
INCLUDERC=/usr/local/filters/rc.shared
INCLUDERC=/usr/local/filters/rc.expanded
INCLUDERC=/usr/local/filters/rc.body
DELIVERED=$FOUND
--
|We have tried ignorance for/      Tom Betz      (914) 375-1510        |
|a very long time, and it's/  Want to sent me email? Read this first:  |