Re: moving mail (newbie)

1997-01-23 11:00:21
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, David Epstein wrote:

dbae> Now I want to start writing perl scripts to deal with the
dbae> individual folders which procmail has made for me. But I'm worried
dbae> that procmail will deliver mail to my folder while perl is
dbae> operating on it, thus producing total confusion. So the right
dbae> solution should be to move the folder first to another place,
dbae> under the protection of a lock file.
dbae>
dbae> Finally, here is my question: is there a program that will act
dbae> like Unix mv? If I do mv A B, I need lock file protection for A
dbae> but not for B, because it will be done manually, though there
dbae> would be nothing wrong with lock file protection for B as well,
dbae> which would make it safer to automate the process of dealing with
dbae> the mail.  I could write my own little program in sh or perl, but
dbae> I'm nervous of doing something wrong.
dbae>
dbae> The manual for procmail refers to a program called movemail, which
dbae> might be what I want. But it isn't on our system, as far as I can
dbae> ascertain. I'm not a subscriber to this list, so please send email
dbae> direct to me. Thank you.

Movemail should not be required.  A small script something like the
following (a specialization of the example given in the lockfile(1) man
page) should suffice:

  #!/bin sh
  lockfile A.lock
  mv A B
  rm -f A.lock
  my_mbox_script.pl

Depending on your needs, you might want to append to B instead of
overwriting it.

Regards,
--
   Rick Troxel     Rick_Troxel(_at_)nih(_dot_)gov
rick(_at_)helix(_dot_)nih(_dot_)gov