Re: Simple Bozo-Filter Example? (fwd)

1997-02-06 00:05:15
Tim <bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
At 05:29 PM 2/5/97 PST, you wrote:
Don't forget that some sendmails will think they are delivering
duplicates -- and trash same -- unless the expansion of your .forward is
unique, in the case where more than one procmail user at your site is
receiving the same message.

This is why you should put "#yourname" at the end of the .forward,
using your own login name, of course, i.e.,

   "|IFS=' '; exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -Yf- #bodysurf"

in your case.

I was wondering about that (with the man page stating to put the
"#$username" in there), but Philip G. gave me the above "~/.forward" line
without the '#bodysurf' in it.  So what's the verdict, Philip -- should I
put the '#bodysurf' in there?  I was under the impression that the sendmail
exitcode bounce wouldn't work if I put my "#$username" in there.

Sorry, we have sendmail V8 here, which doesn't need it, so I forget
sometimes.   What version of sendmail is the site running?  If it's
running sendmail version 8, then you're safe.  Actually, if you're
running sendmail V8, then you can leave out the "IFS=' ';" bit, as
sendmail V8 takes care of that too.  If you're not, complain to your
admins, point out that pre-8 sendmails have plenty of known security
holes, then add "#your-user-name" to the end of the command, but before
the closing double quote, and give it a try.

Philip Guenther