Recipie works only for recipient alias

1997-02-18 08:22:29

I'm setting up an autoresponder with the recipie below.

My username is kbf and I am kbf(_at_)phy(_dot_)duke(_dot_)edu(_dot_) Mail sent
to 'kbf'
(originating locally of course) produces the intended result.  Mail sent
to 'kbf(_at_)phy(_dot_)duke(_dot_)edu' (originating locally or remotely) fails
to produce
a reply.

Here is the recipie (suggestions welcome) --

PROCBIN=$HOME/bin
AUTOFROM="Kyle's Mail Troll <kbf(_at_)phy(_dot_)duke(_dot_)edu>
XLOOP="X-Loop: kbf(_at_)phy(_dot_)duke(_dot_)edu"

        :0
        * ^Subject:.*gimmie
        * ! ^Subject:.*Re:
        * $ ! ^$XLOOP
                | ($PROCBIN/formail -r -I"$AUTOFROM" -I"$XLOOP" ; \
                /usr/bin/echo "It worked." ; \
                /usr/bin/echo '' ) \
        | /usr/lib/sendmail -t

Replacing the invocation of sendmail with "> $HOME/debug" confirms that
the recipie is failing before the redirection: output is generated for
mail sent to kbf, but not for mail sent to
kbf(_at_)phy(_dot_)duke(_dot_)edu(_dot_)  So the
problem is not with sendmail.  Also, if I manually feed mail to either kbf
or kbf(_at_)phy(_dot_)duke(_dot_)edu through "| formail -r; /usr/lib/sendmail
-t", both
work.  Again, it does not appear that the problem is with sendmail trying
to avoid a mail loop, whcih was one theory.

The procmail "VERBOSE" log indicates that mail sent to either address is
matching the criteria.  For mail sent to kbf, the log file shows that the
autoreply properly fails to match, and is passed through to the standard
mailbox.  For mail sent to kbf(_at_)phy(_dot_)duke(_dot_)edu, there is no
logged activity
after the initial message, i.e., the reply was never generated, as
implied by my other observations.

So now I'm wondering if there is some sort of path problem. But I set
paths for everything, as you can see.

Any ideas?

Other tidbits:
Procmail 3.10 compiled cleanly out-of-the-box.
The system is SunOS 4.1.3.  I am not root, so there's only so much I can do.
My home directory appears to be located on NFS or similar.
Recipies to save mail to folders have always worked fine, no matter what.

Thanks,
Kyle Ferrio
NRC Post-Doc @ Duke Physics