Re: forwarding mail

1997-02-22 13:49:42
Philip Guenther began his response to David Epstein,

G> Since David Tamkin has already answered David Epstein's other questions,
G> I'll just tackle the forwarding question:

The reason I didn't want to get into the question about forwarding on Friday
when I first read David Epstein's post is that there's a significant compli-
cation that I just haven't the patience to detail in full right now.

E> how do I get procmail to send the letter on so
E> that it appears to come from the same sender as sent it to me?

My answer would been very different from Philip's.  It would have started
with these two words:
                                You don't.

The envelope sender on forwarded mail should be the forwarder, not the
original writer.  If I get a chance I'll explain why.

Procmail's "!" operator does the right thing -- leaving the header sender(s)
alone but changing the envelope sender -- unless overridden as Philip demon-
strated how to do.