Re: forwarding mail/leading white space/using formail

1997-02-21 15:16:43
Right now I don't want to tackle David Epstein's questions about forwarding,
but here are answers to the others he had:

| I have a subsidiary question, less important. procmail ignores leading
| space in a regular expression. What do I do if I want to INSIST that
| leading white space should match?

Take your pick:

1. Put a backslash to the left of the significant leading whitespace;
2. Enclose the significant leading whitespace in parentheses; or
3. Put an empty pair of parentheses to the left of the significant leading
   whitespace.

| A second subsidiary question: I tried using formail to extract the
| names and email addresses from a large mail folder (senders of
| messages only). But I could only get it to extract the name of the
| sender of the first message. Can anyone help?

Use formail's -s option flag; that's the only way to make it split the input
into separate messages.  Otherwise it will treat the headers and bodies of
all messages after the first as parts of the first message's body.

Note that even if you use some other formail options that make sense only
when splitting, such as -e, -d, or -n, you still need to specify -s.