Re: Better way to match "$"?

1997-03-31 14:29:38
Andrew Feren asekd,

|       I was trying to write a rule to match dollar signs ('$'), but
|       procmail always seemed to treat the $ character specially no
|       matter how I quoted or escaped it. I ended up using the
|       pattern "[^ -#%-~]".

Andrew's pattern, unfortunately, passes control characters and eight-bit
characters.

If there is no "$" modifier, \$ denotes a literal dollar sign.  If there is a
"$" modifier, you might need \\\$.

[$] always means a literal dollar sign, with or without the "$" modifier,
so that's what I recommend.  (Likewise, ($) always means a newline, with or
without the "$" modifier.)