/var/mail mode 775

1997-04-03 16:38:00

How can I use procmail as the mail delivery agent with /var/mail having
permissions 775 ?
I know the standard way is to have 1777, but I'd like it to be 775 because
in this case I'm actually not delivering to /var/mail but to /var/log/mail
where I log every mail delivered (for mere redundancy reasons). So I have in my
/etc/procmailrc a rule like:

        # log the incoming email
        :0 c:
        /var/log/mail/$LOGNAME

If I put it after "DROPPRIVS=yes", then the delivery fails because the root and
mail priviledges are lost.
If I put it before, the mail gets delivered fine but with uid root whereas I'd
like my users to have free access to these files as an "alternate" mailbox.
For now, I use mode 1777, but I'd like to prevent users from rm'ing their
alternate mailbox or from creating random files on this /var/log partition.

        Stefan