Re: Well, I give Up.

1997-04-04 16:39:00
On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, theSimpleman wrote (excerpt):

I am running Apache, and want procmail to send an autoresponder to
the sender and  make a carbon copy of the message to be forwarded on
to my home address.

    Are you willing to accept a suggestion from the voice of
experience?  Do not use an autoresponder willy nilly merely to
acknowledge receipt of the message whether the sender requested
it or not.  I did for a short time, and a few people got rather
steamed at me.  Some people _do_not_want_ automatic acknowledgments
of their mail.  If your mail system does not honor Return-Receipt-To:
(some don't), you could write a procmail recipe to detect the header
and parse out the receipt address and then automatically acknowledge
the message if so requested.

Regards,
Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart