$1 ... question

1997-04-08 18:20:00
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> wrote in another thread:
[question about how to use +box addressing in procmailrc files]
It shows up as $1 in your procmail, which you can then test with
something like:

      ARG = $1

      :0
      * ARG ?? ^^pgp^^
      pgp-folder

Privately I asked where this was documented and he pointed me towards
a paragraph in one of the man pages that "implies" this. I see no such
implication there, but maybe I am not reading between the lines enough.

In my tests this does work, although I had to remove the carets. And
it even works for Bcc'ed stuff which has no indication of the envelope
address in the headers. What else works? Do $0, $2, $3 etc have useful
stuff? What is required for procmail to know $1? I doubt it is going
to be there for Bcc'ed stuff when procmail is called from a .forward
file. And I see no way it could be there when procmail is called to
process an existing box of Bcc'ed messages. Why is this not
documented? What else isn't documented?

Elijah
------
please do not CC me when replying to the list