Re: [Procmail]Help...another 400+ aol bounces...(MORE)

1997-04-10 21:52:00

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Doug Muth wrote:

Hi Eric Hilding!  I'm a UNIX administrator, spamfighter, and a virusfighter!
Thanks for your prompt response.  Another 500 bounces have hit since my
last message.  I'd like to personally castrate the son-of-a-***** responsible
for this.  It appears to be revenge for nailing several forgery artists.
:0hc
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* ^From: Mailer-daemon(_at_)mrin18(_dot_)mail(_dot_)aol(_dot_)com
* ^From: Mailer-daemon(_at_)mrin19(_dot_)mail(_dot_)aol(_dot_)com

      Those last two lines will never be executed as that recipe will
STOP the first line (!^FROM_DAEMON).

Ummm... won't that open things up to potential other problems?

{
:0hc
 !trouble(_at_)AOL(_dot_)COM PMDAtropos(_at_)AOL(_dot_)COM
| $SENDMAIL -oi -t
}

      You don't need to pipe forwards into sendmail.  Try this:

:0
* ^From: Mailer-daemon(_at_)mrin1(8|9).mail.aol.com
! trouble(_at_)aol(_dot_)com abuse(_at_)aol(_dot_)com
pdmatropos(_at_)aol(_dot_)com

Are saying this is the entire (from & forward to) recipe?  no need
to /dev/null?  Guess that makes sense.

      If you have the time, you could also use forrep and prepend text
onto your bounces explaining that you don't want these e-mails and ask
for them to take action.

Gosh...would LOVE to know how to do this...at the head of each message!

I don't think I quite have it together.  Help is appreciated.
Another 50 bounces have been received in the last few minutes.

      Ouch.  Why are you getting these bounces?  I'm friends with David
O'Donnell (pdmatropos(_at_)aol(_dot_)com) from the anti-spam scene, I'll
mention the
problem to him if these bounces of yours continue.

Beats me except it appears to be the work of a revenge artist.  Now,
I'm getting stuff from OTHER "aol.com" machine names...not sure how
to include those in the equation, except for additional lines.

Also getting them from out2.ibm.net and mail.ziplink.net daemons.
I REALLY, REALLY want to catch the bastard resonsible.

Tnx.

Eric