Re: Simple Procmail Listserv

1997-04-13 15:57:00
On Friday, 11-Apr-97 10:17 AM, Professional Software Engineering - Lists
(lists(_at_)professional(_dot_)org) wrote:
--
I don't mean to trouble you, but where can I find a copy of SmarList?

Check the Procmail archive.  SmartList is there:

Thanks. This was most helpful! I checked out SmartList and it seems to do
just about everything. Now if I can just figure out how to install it...

Get a list of files available at the procmail mail server by sending mail:
 To: procmail-request(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de
 Subject: archive ls

Get Best of the Procmail mailing list by sending mail (you'll need gzip
and a
MIME-decoder to unpack it):
 To: procmail-request(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de
 Subject: archive get best_of_procmail_list*

The submitter's email addy should be in a text file list for
verification
regulate stuff that gets posted and jokers don't SPAM the list. Its
also

Choose the header for this carefully.

Please elicidate on this a bit?

Woops (SP)!

Some users may have only ONE account, but their FROM address might differ
from
post to post, say if they've changed their mailer settings to get to a
more
efficient mail server on their ISP (hey, look at the variety of headers on
MY
message here).

Okay, I see what you mean now. I've run into this problem before with lists
I've joined.

These subscriptions are pretty private too. Mainly friends and word of
mouth

Well, if the LIST address is unknown to the public, then you run very
little
chance of being spammed to, unless one of your list members leaks the
address
to someone, or is themselves a spammer (in which case though, they'd be
able to
spam via their own account already).

Word gets around real fast in the Net and there is no telling who may end up
with the listserv addy. Some aspiring individual may do something dumb and
post it to the usenet or something similar.

[snip - copy to submitter]
What you say makes perfect sense. I always request a copy of my original
posts. My friend, whom I'm trying to set this up for, prefers to not send
copy to the submitter.

Well, check SmartList and read up on it.  It should be able to do this.

SmartList does seem to do just about everything. A lot of my problem lies in
being Unix challenged. Can you point me to a resource that will help me with
compiling the source code on FreeBSD?

Is there anyway that procmail can be used to check the content of a new
submission against a database of existing jokes? Looking for dupes in
content and ignoring >> prefixing and such? Maybe use scoring in some way
?
I'm lost with procmail scoring.

I don't use scoring either.  Too iffy to me.  I'm sure it would be
possible to
do this, but you'd have a rough time managing to make a good filter using
the
PROCMAIL features alone -- as a programmer, this is the sort of thing I'd
write
an external app for and fine tune that.

Unfortunatley, how would it distinguish between a NEW submission which is
all
quoted (">" or whatever), and a followup submission that elaborates upon a
joke, which also includes the joke, quoted?  Nah, if you're going to do
this,
better to have the admin pre-qualify jokes before sending them to the list

I see what you mean. No way to really filter out anything except exact
duplicates.

I hope you don't mind answering questions if I get stuck. I'm something
of a
Unix dummy because of my Dos and Windoze background.

Yea, but I'd prefer you continued the thread in procmail, since you'll get
more
help there, from people with a lot more background in this.

Thanks for all the great help! I'm posting this reply to the list.

Where, in this recipe, is the user name database? I believe I can get by
with just a simple text file. Would I name a file 'listaddr'?

At the top, I had two variable definitions, which would be expanded in
several
locations within the script.  The list name database was simply a function
of
the listname.  I should warn you that my script isn't set up IDENTICAL,
since I
ran into some problems with variable expansion when my ISP changed
procmail
versions (if you run into this, just replace all $variables with the
expanded
form).

I'm playing with this one right now. I'll post back if I run into problems.

[snip - huh?  these assignments should be on separate lines (my original
was
SENT that way)...

listaddr=$listname(_at_)$domain listowner=$listname-mailer(_at_)$domain
listreq=$listowner listdist=$LISTDIR/$listname sendmailOPT=" -oem -odb
-oi
-F$listaddr "

Like so:

listaddr=$listname(_at_)$domain listowner=$listname-mailer(_at_)$domain
listreq=$listowner listdist=$LISTDIR/$listname sendmailOPT=" -oem -odb -oi
-F$listaddr "

The munging is from a braindead Windoze email program I use. It does strange
things when translating line feeds to returns and vice a versa.

Dave/Webmaster

VserV Inc.
www.v-serv.com
Commercial website hosting