Bouncing/refusing mail with EXITCODE

1997-04-13 16:26:00
Hello, procmail Cabal members. I hope I am not committing a faux pas
by asking for help here.

I have seen references on usenet to setting EXITCODE=77 in order to
generate a "mail undeliverable" (or somesuch) message. This seems like
the best way to get off a UCE mailing list, if that's even possible.
Backspamming is counterproductve, and sending canned flames just makes
things worse.

Alas, I am unable to get it to work. All my other recipes work fine,
this is the only bit I don't understand.

I am operating under UNIX System V Release 4.0. I use the .forward
mechanism with this line:

"|/usr/local/bin/procmail -Yf- || exit 75 #revjack"

My friend Megeliz is helping me test my bounce recipes. Here is the
recipe I am using:

# Exitcode test
:0
* ^From.*megeliz
{
  EXITCODE=77

  :0
  /dev/null
}

My log shows that mail from megeliz is delivered to /dev/null.
However, (1) she does not receive any sort of daemon-bounce
notification, and (2) something tries to deliver the message to me
again after a short while. (At this point, I remove the recipe from
the .procmailrc file and accept the mail).

(BTW, megeliz is on the same UNIX machine as me, in case that makes a
difference).

Does anyone on this list successfully use the EXITCODE approach to
basically pretend that the mail is undeliverable?

Thank you,

revjack(_at_)radix(_dot_)net